Costas A. Courcoubetis
- Pricing of network services and network economics. Pricing is considered as an important tool for improving network performance by controlling congestion and incentivizing the adoption of new efficient protocols. Network economics and game theory define the framework for obtaining fairness in terms of network resource usage, defining incentive compatible pricing schemes, and leading to a multi-service self-managed Internet.
- Economic models for the sharing economy. Develop equilibrium models to predict the effects of asset sharing on usage and ownership, with applications to shared mobility.
- Smart Grids. The use of incentives to make consumers reveal their flexibility in scheduling their electricity loads. Design of mechanisms for managing the energy consumption in buildings that take into account the preferences of the occupants. Economics of storage.
- Performance of networks and the Internet. Using applied probability models, optimization and operations research tools to develop new mechanisms for transferring low priority data over the Internet.
- 1977-1982: MS, Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- 1972-1977: Diploma of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece.
Conferences & Workshops
- Courcoubetis, C. A., Dimakis, A., & Kanakakis, M. , Congestion Control for Background Data Transfers With Minimal Delay Impact , IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 25(5), 2743-2758. , 2017 , [pdf]
- Courcoubetis, C., Dimakis, A., & Kanakakis, M. , Minimally Intrusive Server Policies for Background Data Transfers. , In International Conference on Network Games, Control, and Optimization (pp. 79-88). Birkhäuser, Cham. , 2016, November , [pdf]
- Courcoubetis, C., Dimakis, A., & Kanakakis, M. , Fair Congestion Control for Long-lived Background Flows , In NETwork Games, COntrol and OPtimization (NetGCoop), 7th International Conference on (pp. 75-82). IEEE. , Trento, Italy , 2014, October , [pdf]
- Courcoubetis, C., Dimakis, A., & Kanakakis, M. , Designing incentive compatible protocols for background data transfers. , In Communication Systems (ICCS), IEEE International Conference, (pp. 182-186), IEEE. , 2014, November , [pdf]
- M. Kanakakis, M. Minou, C. Courcoubetis, G. D. Stamoulis, G. Thanos , A Practical Iterative Price-Based Approach for Optimal Demand-Response , The Third International Conference on Smart Grids, Green Communications and IT Energy-aware Technologies , Lisbon, Portugal , 2013 , [pdf]
Research Projects Participation
EU-funded Research Projects (selected)
- WiseGRID: Wide scale demonstration of Integrated Solutions and business models for European Smart Grid (1/11/2016-to day)
- ASCETiC: Novel methods and tools for optimising energy efficiency and minimising the carbon footprint resulting from designing, developing, deploying, and running software in Clouds (1/10/13-30/9/16).
- OPTET: Increase the trust and confidence in Internet-based systems, applications and services (1/11/2012-31/10/2015).
- INCEPTION: Investigates the socioeconomic incentives of the community-sensing environment where multiple users and communities interact, in order to induce growth and sustainability (2010-2013).
- WATTALYST: Modelling and analyzing demand response systems (1/10/2011-30/9/2014).
- SESERV: Socioeconomic services for European research projects (1/9/2010-31/8/2012).
- TRILOGY: Developing a new control architecture for the Internet (1/1/2008-31/3/2011).
- ETICS: Economics and Technologies for Inter-Carrier Services (1/1/2010 – 31/12/2012).
- GRIDECON: Grid Economics and Business Models (1/7/2006 – 30/4/2009).
- BEINGRID: Business Experiments in GRID (1/6/2006-30/11/2009).
- MMAPS: Market-Managed Peer-to-Peer Services (1/4/2002-30/9/2004).
- M3I: A market-managed multiservice Internet (1/1/2000-31/12/2001).
- Member of the MOE Academic Research Fund (AcRF) Tier 2 Expert Panel EP2, 2015 - 2016.
- Member of the Committee on the Future Economy (CFE) in Singapore, (participates in the CFE’s Sub-Committee on Future Corporate Capabilities and Innovation, with a specific focus on disruptive technologies)
- Elected Member of the University Governing Counsel, Athens University of Economics and Business (2013).
- Member of Expert Evaluation Panel for INRIA (2007), member of EIFFEL think tank for the Future Internet Architecture.
- Member of the Greek National Research Council (2005).
- Journal Reviewer (selected): Mathematics of the Operations Research, Operations Research, JACM, Queuing Systems, Journal of Applied Probability, SIAM Journal of Algorithms, Distributed Computing, Acta Informatica, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE JSAC, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Stochastic Models, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Telecommunication Systems, Bell Laboratories Technical Journal.
- Guest Editor: IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications of the Special Issue “Price Based Access Control and Economics for Communication Networks”.
8 Somapah Road, #05-101