His research interests are in demand side management in smart grid, cloud resource management, sensor data management, privacy, gamification, trust and reputation.
Journals & Books
- Thanasis G. Papaioannou, Nikos Dimitriou, Kostas Vasilakis, Anthony Schoofs, Manolis Nikiforakis, Fabian Pursche, Nikolay Deliyski, Amr Taha, Dimosthenis Kotsopoulos, Cleopatra Bardaki, Sarantis Kotsilitis and Anastasia Garbi , An IoT-Based Gamified Approach for Reducing Occupants’ Energy Wastage in Public Buildings , MDPI Sensors, vol. 18, no 2 , 2018
- T. G. Papaioannou, V. Hatzi, I. Koutsopoulos , Optimal Design of Serious Games for Consumer Engagement in the Smart Grid , IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid , 17/6/2016
- Dimosthenis Kotsopoulos, Cleopatra Bardaki, Thanasis Papaioannou, Stavros Lounis , AGILE USER-CENTERED DESIGN OF AN IOT-ENABLED GAMIFIED INTERVENTION FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION AT THE WORKPLACE , IADIS International Journal on WWW/Internet, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1-25 , 2018 , [pdf]
Conferences & Workshops
- Thanasis G. Papaioannou, George D. Stamoulis and Marilena Minou , Adequate Feedback-based Customer Incentives in Automated Demand Response , ACM International Conference on Future Energy Systems (ACM e-Energy) , Karlsruhe, Germany , June 12, 2018 , [pdf]
- T. G. Papaioannou, G. D. Stamoulis, M. Minou , Personalized Feedback-based Customer Incentives in Automated Demand Response , IEEE SmartGridComm 2018 , Aalborg, Denmark , 29/10/2018 , [pdf]
- Thanasis G Papaioannou, George D Stamoulis , Teaming and competition for demand-side management in office buildings , IEEE SmartGridComm'17 , Dresden, Germany , October 2017 , [pdf]
- M. Minou, G. D. Stamoulis, T. G. Papaioannou , The Effect of Altruism in Automated Demand Response for Residential Users , IEEE International Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (IEEE ISGT-Europe) , Torino, Italy , September 2017 , [pdf]
- K. Katsalis, T. G. Papaioannou, N. Nikaein, L. Tassiulas , SLA-driven VM Scheduling in Mobile Edge Computing , 9th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (IEEE CLOUD 2016) , San Francisco, USA , 2016 , [pdf]
- K. Katsalis, V. Sourlas, T. G. Papaioannou, T. Korakis, L. Tassiulas , Content Placement in Heterogeneous End-to-End Virtual Networks , 30th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC) , Salamanca, Spain , April 2015 , [pdf]
Thanasis Papaioannou received his B.Sc. (1998) and M.Sc. (2000) in Computer Science from the University of Crete, Greece, and his Ph.D. (2006) in Informatics from Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB). Since January 2006, has been a Senior Researcher with STEcon lab at AUEB. In parallel, since September 2016, he has been teaching in the University of Thessaly, Python Programming and Android Programming. Since December 2016, he has been also giving lectures in the Technological Educational Institute of Thessaly on Data Management in Internet of Things. Formerly, from 2013 to 2016, he has been with the Networking Lab of the Center for Research and Technology - Hellas (CERTH), Greece. Prior to that, from 2008 to 2013, he has been a postdoctoral researcher at the Distributed Information Systems laboratory (LSIR) of the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL). He has worked as project manager and scientific contributor in 17 national and European projects. He has authored more than 65 research papers in high-quality journals and conferences, which have received particular attention by the scientific community with more than 1200 citations.